Sunday, December 14, 2008

COD Christmas Show: Manila to Cubao and now in Greenhills.

I remember when I was a kid, my parents will bring us to Cubao to see a show. It is every Christmas time, crowds will flock in front of the building and look up. A fantastic stage with moving "puppets" or now what they call "animatronics". During that time, that is already hi-tech and I always ask my dad on "How they do that?"

Now, the show has found a new home in Greenhills shopping mall. Being on its 6th year in Greenhills, it is just yesterday that I had the chance to visit it again. My daughter and wife is with me and now I find myself in my parents shoes.

The theme this year is regarding environmental preservation. Watching the show with my daughter gave joy and fascination in her eyes, just like the other kids. Actually, it is not only her but including me, who again gave me flashbacks when I was the one who was brought to see it.

With changing backdrops from wasteland to a green and clean environment, moving animals such as reindeers, a horse with Karitela, a carabao pulling a cart and moving human puppets including a Band gave the audience a good show.

The new generation now immersed on TV, gadgets and other forms of entertainment may have lost the old "classical" and worthwhile to preserve Christmas traditions. Some may argue that it is old technology, but for me it is not the technology that matters. It is the people behind it who believes that Christmas is for kids and for the family. Letting them watch a once a year show all together for at least a day and spending quality time. Making the kids grow up in knowing what once was and is still now a Christmas show worth seeing and remembering with happy faces and a good heart.

It is not only nice but wonderful that the Ortigas family invited the Rosario family to continue the Christmas show tradition since 1957. Kudos to the Ortigas family who saw that this tradition should live on and to the Rosario family together with the personnel who still carry on this show. I do hope they know that the kids during the early years of COD are now the parents who bring their kids to see it again.

The full story behind COD and the Christmas show can be found at inquirer website.

May you have the opportunity to see the show. Merry Christmas to all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment