Sunday, December 07, 2008

Video call (3G), the advantage!

Filipinos love to text. That is a given. The ratio of text to call most likely will be 10 is to 1 (I am just guessing here) This might be due to the fact that texting cost less, is easier in terms of texting and press to send rather than press to call and wait for the receiver to answer.

However, calling has its advantages, 1) you hear the person you want to talk to 2) you are able to express your feelings and let the person know it 3) You are able to explain in detail somethings that is hard to express via text.

For quite a long time, Globe and SMART had been pushing video calls as a way to communicate but lately I have not seen any marketing campaign from them regarding this value added feature. This might not have taken off as planned by the telcos since initially it was charged higher than the standard voice call.

Now the price of the video call is the same as voice call, so I have taken advantage of it this year with my nokia 3G phone. Me, my sister and very recently my wife got hold of a 3G phone. We use SMART as our primary line. (Picture from www.guardian.co.uk)



So what certain situations we like to use the video features or how it is a GOD sent.

1. Buying stuff wherein the primary buyer is not with the errand person to buy it. Just like when my wife needed a phone pouch and wanted to see the different colors. Instead of guessing and going back if she did not like it, I video called her, showed the colors and VOILA!, she picked the one she liked.

2. Doing a procedure step by step via video call.
My sister had car trouble just the other day with her vehicle. She was stopped by the NLEX enforcers due to a non functioning tail light on the right side. She is not adept in trouble shooting so she called me up. This is were video call became handy. She showed me the tail light area and instructed her on how to dismantle the panel at the inside of the rear end of her vehicle.

3. Making someone happy especially the "Lola"
My mom is very fond of my little angel daughter. So when my sister is with my mom, I call her up and they are able to "talk" to her. Sometimes, when I am out, I call my wife and chat with my little girl. I can always see her delight and fascination that I can see her and she can see me.

Now if I could only get a hold of the previous unit, Mobile eye by SMART. This definitely I plan to use for security cam purposes.

How about you, any special use for your video call 3G? How I also wish that inter-Telco video calls would be possible for better use of this feature.
The only thing that I believe you don't want to be seen is when you are not dressed up properly or have a bad hair day. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment